Tuesday, December 7, 2010

We've lost the birds...

Good morning everyone! It's a gorgeous 70 degrees here in sunny California. I hope your morning is as lovely as mine.

A strange thing happened the other morning...I'm pretty sure I hit a bird on my drive into work. I don't want any emails from PETA or animal rights people, it was unintentional. But I must say, there is a lot going on here. First, I thought that deteriorating intelligence was a practice only reserved for human beings, as is demonstrated by the stupid things you see/hear people do/say pretty much daily. But apparently, it's gotten to the birds too. I didn't think birds could get any dumber, but clearly, I was wrong. What happened to the good old days when a bird would SUSPECT that you were coming near it, and immediately fly away ever so spastically? I mean, you could TRY and hit a bird, and you would be unsuccessful. If the shadow of your car seemed as though it was going to come near the bird, flocks would fly the hell outta there like...well, like birds! Those days are gone friends. Now, you literally have to hit the bird before it even realizes its in danger, and by that time, sadly - it's too late. I wasn't even on the highway, or on the street. It's not like I was driving at a high speed and the bird had no time to react. FINE, I know what you're looking for...my confession. Here it comes. I was in the parking lot of my complex leaving my house...going maybe 5-7 mph tops...I saw the bird, I wont lie and say that I didn't. But I thought it was a normal bird! A bird of my youth, a bird with wings, and sense! I saw it in the middle of the road and thought to myself "Surely, when I get too close...it will fly away...that's what birds do" so I crept up. Slowly, but surely, I crept up. Don't shake your head at me! What was I suppose to do??? Get out of my car and politely ask the bird to get out of the way??? IT HAS WINGS!!! It can fly through the air majestically, why was it just hanging out in a Fullerton parking lot anyway! It had the option to be anywhere in the world, and yet it chose to be an obstacle on my drive to work?! Slowly, I crept up...slowly until I couldn't see it and then I thought "Surely, it's walked away and I just didn't see it" And then it happened. I went over a speed bump...but there are no speed bumps.

Bottom line, I'm sorry it happened. However, it wasn't my fault. The birds an idiot...I dont know what else to say about it, except that I'm deeply saddened that "stupid" is sweeping the planet, one species at a time.

2 comments:

Kid A 78 said...

that happened to me near Boston, except it was a chipmunk. it hurts more when you know you just hit something that can sing christmas carols.

Unknown said...

omg hillarious....especially "but there was no speed bump." hahahah